An overview of the tourist areas of Istanbul with a selection of hotels. Where to stay in Istanbul to walk to the main sights without getting into trouble and traffic jams. List of dangerous areas in Istanbul.
Istanbul — Turkey's largest and most populous city. It has 39 districts (ilche), which are subdivided into districts and quarters. I made the right choice of location on the third try.
On our first visit, we were accommodated in a business hotel in the Asian part, and we were stuck in traffic jams for 2 hours a day. The second time I booked an apartment next to a noisy avenue and woke up from the howling of sirens. The third time I already knew where to look, and we lived in a quiet central area of Istanbul.
Classic Istanbul Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace on tour with a licensed guide in the European part in the regions of Fatih, Beyoglu and Besiktas. If you are an ordinary tourist, want to save time on moving around the city and do not look for adventure, choose accommodation in these areas.
- Booking com does not operate in Turkey. Book hotels in Istanbul on Ostrovok·ru and Trip·com.
This central area of Istanbul includes the Sultanahmet quarter, where the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia (Aya Sophia), Topkapi Palace with Gulhane Park, Basilica Cistern are located , Grand Bazaar and Egyptian Bazaar (Spice Market). There is a lot of tourist traffic between these attractions, but you are also part of it.
- Hotels in Fatih
Sultanahmet has a large selection of hotels and apartments, where you can live like a sultan or choose a more modest option. High-class hotels have good sound insulation, which is very important for Istanbul. Many hotels provide an airport shuttle, there are Russian-speaking staff.
Popular Sultanahmet hotels:< /strong>
- The White House Hotel Istanbul is located 250 meters from the Blue Mosque and the rooms are decorated with exquisite furniture.Katelya Hotel is a quiet hotel 7 minutes from the tram stop, the rooms combine classic and modern styles. Delicious breakfasts, free parking.Romance Istanbul Hotel Boutique Class boutique hotel 10 minutes walk from the Grand Bazaar, spa with sauna, helpful staff.Find a hotel in Sultanahmet
Apartments in the center of Istanbul not much different from hotels — they are usually located in the same building, professionally serviced and have a small kitchenette.
- Blue Mosque Suites apartment complex 300 meters from the Blue Mosque, friendly host, hammam, terrace overlooking the sea, tea/coffee, fruit.Find an apartment in Sultanahmet
The historical area on the other side of the Golden Horn Bay is known for such attractions as the Galata Tower, the pedestrian tourist street Istiklal, Dolmabahce Palace. Beyoğlu District includes the popular districts of Taksim, Galata and Karakoy.
- Beyoğlu Hotels
Taksim is always lively, there are many young people, nightclubs, shops and restaurants. Taksim Square — the central transport hub of Istanbul, from here you can quickly get to any part of the city and get to the airport.
Hotels near Taksim Square:
- Mukarnas TaksimInterContinental IstanbulThe Marmara TaksimTaksim Square Hotel
For something special, check out the Pera Palace Museum Hotel, where Agatha Christie wrote Murder on the Orient Express. The Orient Terrace Bar is a favorite meeting place for the upper class.
When choosing a cheap hotel in Taksim, look at what is in the neighborhood. Constant noise will be in the houses facing Istiklal Street. We lived in an apartment near Tarlabaşı Boulevard and could not open the windows. Find a hotel in Taksim
Cihangir district combines a central location and pleasant surroundings. Many foreigners and creative people live here. We stayed in Cihangir for 5 days — lively, but calm, many cafes, restaurants, there are supermarkets. Available options fill up quickly, book early!
- MySuite Istanbul CihangirCihangir HotelElement GardenFind a hotel in Cihangir
The area near the Galata Tower is surrounded by souvenir and vintage shops, narrow streets and historical buildings. The Karakoy-Beyoglu funicular makes it easy to climb the hill.
- Art Nouveau Galata Georges Hotel GalataMeroddi La Porta HotelAll hotels near Galata Tower
The lower end of the Beyoglu district goes to the Galata Bridge. From Karakoy to Sultanahmet can be reached on foot or by tram. Near the fish market and the ferry pier. In 2021, the port and public space «Galataport» (Galataport Istanbul) — marina, shops, restaurants, offices.
The best hotels in Karakoy:
- 10 Karakoy İstanbulMomento Golden HornAda KarakoyFind a hotel in Karakoy
Sights of the Besiktas area: Dolmabahce Palace, Ortaköy Mosque, Yildiz Palace with the park of the same name, Ataturk Museum and the Naval Museum, Vodafone Park Stadium & # 8212; home arena of the Besiktas football club. The advantages of this area are panoramic views of the Bosphorus and proximity to the ferry pier, from where ferries leave for the Asian part and the Princes' Islands. Cons — there are traffic jams.
Istanbul's most luxurious hotels along the Bosphorus:
- Çırağan Palace Kempinski Istanbul and Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at the Bosphorus are housed in 19th-century Ottoman palaces. Staying here, you can feel like a sultan from the neighboring Dolmabahce Palace.Swissotel The Bosphorus Istanbul has been awarded an international certificate of the Safe Hotels Alliance with Executive Level. Shangri-La Bosphorus is a luxury hotel between Dolmabahce Palace and the Maritime MuseumFind a hotel in Besiktas
Princes' Islands (Adalar)
A group of islands in the Sea of Marmara, which is part of Istanbul — a good option for those who want to take a break from the noisy city. Just one hour on the ferry and you are in nature. In the summer, on the Princes' Islands, they have picnics, swim and sunbathe. Look for accommodation on the two largest islands — Buyukada or Heybeliade.
- Buyukada HotelsHeybeliada Hotels
Dangerous areas of Istanbul
Walking along tourist routes , it's hard to imagine that there are areas in Istanbul where it's scary to even go, and even more so, to stop there. The underprivileged areas of Istanbul are home to drug dealers, counterfeiters, migrants, transvestites, thieves and sex workers. «Business card» such areas — dilapidated houses and dirty streets with linen hanging on clotheslines. Remember their names to avoid:
- TarlabaşıHacıhüsrevDolapdereKustepe Gazi MahallesiEsenyurtKarabayirSultanbeyliGaziosmanpasa
Stay in the tourist areas of Istanbul described in this article and you will feel completely safe.